Altantuya Murder Trial: Corporal Azhar Accused Police of Framing

4 September 2007
Shah Alam

The High Court trial of the murder of Mongolian Altantuya Shaariibuu continued yesterday with accused Corporal Sirul Azhar Umar crying foul over being coerced by police to reveal information that he did not have.

In a trial-within-a-trial to determine the admissibility of his statement on how the victim’s jewellery was discovered in his apartment, Azhar testified that during police interrogation, he was framed for the murder. He said interrogation officer ASP Zulkarnain Samsudin told him: “Tell us the truth and what you know. I know you are a cop, so we will try to help you”. Zulkarnain allegedly assured him that he would not be charged if he cooperated with him.

Zulkarnain then asked Azhar several questions which the latter could not answer. This got Zulkarnain agitated and he said, “Don’t make me treat you like other suspects”. After calming down, he continued: “If you agree to follow me, I will show you the things. I want you to identify, hold and point to the items while a cameraman will take your picture. I can help you so that this case will not be taken to court.”

Azhar said that he was handcuffed during interrogation and Chief Inspector Koh Fei Cheow was also present.

When Azhar and several police officers reached his apartment in Kota Damansara after the interrogation, Azhar said he saw three of his colleagues from the Special Action Squad (UTK). One of them passed a set of keys to his apartment to Koh.

Azhar was handcuffed to Corporal Chiam Swee Guan and was told by Zulkarnain to wait at the dining area. Zulkarnain, Koh, Chief Inspector Mohd Syawal Osman and three UTK officers, ASP Yusri, Seargent Rosli and Seargent Zafri, entered Azhar’s room and closed the door. They remained in the room for ten minutes and the UTK officers left quickly, each with a bag in hand.

The door was closed again for three minutes. Zulkarnain ordered Azhar to enter the room and stand beside a cupboard. Zulkarnain allegedly took Azhar’s leather jacket from the cupboard and instructed him to hold it. He then ordered a police photographer to take a picture of Azhar holding the jacket.

Azhar then said that “Zulkarnain then took something out from the jacket and laid the jacket on my bed. He then placed some jewellery on the jacket and told me to point at them.”

Azhar refused to comply but Zulkarnain insisted, thereafter realized that he was being set up.

New Straits Times – Altantuya murder trial: I was framed by police, accused tells court

MCW – Altantuya Witness Took One Month to Correct Police Report

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Leave a Reply