Azilah Led Police to Crime Scene and Azhar Gave Up Altantuya Jewellery

20 July 2007
Shah Alam

Day 22 of the murder trial of Mongolian Altantuya Shaariibuu continued with the 20th prosecution witness Chief Inspector Koh Fei Cheow, whose police team was led by accused Chief Inspector Azilah Hadri to an area known as Puncak Niaga Subang Lake dam. Koh said Azilah volunteered to bring them there in Puncak Alam at 6:50pm on 6 November 2006.

38-year-old Koh, who has been with the D9 serious crimes division in Kuala Lumpur for ten years, and his team reached a clearing in a forested area near the dam. Azilah then led them to a bushy area which was “the place where the Mongolian woman was blown up”. Koh inspected the area and found human skeletal remains and bone fragments. There were also burn marks.

Azilah then led Koh to another area 10 metres away and indicated that that was the place where “the Mongolian woman was shot first”. Koh secured the area and contacted Superintendent Zainol Samah, Deputy Superintendent Gan Tack Guan and Assistant Superintendent Tonny Lunggan.

Five minutes later, Tonny Lunggan arrived with his team and accused Corporal Sirul Azhar Umar.

Koh said that although Azilah was handcuffed during interrogation, he did not threaten, coerce or torture Azilah to admit anything.

The defence has questioned the admissibility of Koh’s testimony about how Azilah told Koh that he could show the location where Altantuya was murdered and that he showed him the locations where she was blown up and shot.

Justice Mohd Zaki Md Yasin has arranged for time on Monday to hear submissions on whether the trial-within-a-trial should be held.

On 7 November 2006, Koh assisted ASP Zulkarnain Samsudin in interrogating Azhar in his office. Azhar had told them that there was a pair of earrings, a watch and a ring that belonged to Altantuya was in his jacket at his residence. Zulkarnain immediately lodged a police report on this and led a team to Azhar’s flat in Kota Damansara, Sungai Buloh.

When the police team arrived at the flat at 4:15pm, there were a few Special Action Squad (UTK) officers outside. Koh met Sergeant Rosli Ibrahim who gave him Azhar’s house keys. Koh passed the keys to Zulkarnain.

The team entered the flat and into Azhar’s room. Azhar opened a cupboard and handed over a black jacket to Zulkarnain, who then took out the watch and jewellery from a pocket.

Koh identified the items in court, which were the ones that Altantuya’s friend Uuriintuya Gal-Ochir had identified before as belonging to Altantuya.

The Star Online – Accused showed way to crime scene

The Star Online – Watch and jewellery recovered

The Star Online – Crime scene info challenged

New Straits Times – Altantuya murder trial: Altantuya ‘shot and blown up in different places’

MCW – Judge, Lawyers and Accused of Altantuya Trial Visited Crime Scene

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Leave a Reply

Spam protection by WP Captcha-Free