Altantuya Defence Contended that Accused was Insinuated

25 July 2007
Shah Alam

Chief Inspector Koh Fei Cheow was cross-examined by Kamarul Hisham Kamaruddin, who is appearing for accused Corporal Sirul Azhar Umar, in the murder trial of Altantuya Shaariibuu yesterday. Koh said he did not record what Azilah had said about the location of the crime scene in his 6 November 2006 police report.

Kamarul put forth to the court that Koh had just recorded implied speech of Azilah instead of implicitly indicating that “this was the spot where the Mongolian woman was shot or where she was blasted with explosives” in contrast to what he had testified in court earlier. Kamarul suggested that Koh did not record Azilah’s statements during interrogation because the later did not have anything to reveal.

Koh later denied that he had entered Azilah’s house bedroom in Kota Damansara with some other police officers, closed the door and left Azilah in the living room for 15 minutes before he was taken in to locate some of Altantuya’s belongings. Some jewellery and a watch were found in his black jacket in a clothes closet. Koh said he did not instruct Azilah to hold the jacket and point to where the items were.

Koh denied that the Bukit Aman interrogation division head, Deputy Superintendent Zainudin Abdul Samad, had ordered Azilah by saying “Go forward, go forward. Point it out, point it out”, referring to the areas where Altantuya were allegedly shot and blown up. Koh explained that both of them were within his sight and hearing all the time that they were at the Puncak Alam crime scene.

The prosecution’s 21st witness was Zainudin, aged 52, who went to the Kuala Lumpur police headquarters 2 November 2006 together with four policemen. In the interrogation room, two officers were inside and the process was done over five days with breaks for Azilah to have his meals.

Zainudin said Azilah was handcuffed while he was interrogated. At 4pm on 6 November 2006, Azilah told him that he wanted to “roughly show” the location of the crime scene. Zainudin called ASP Tonny Lunggan to inform him about this and Azilah was taken to the lock-up. 15 minutes later, Zainudin said he saw Koh with Azilah waiting to go to the crime scene.

Zainudin followed the two in a police four-wheel-drive vehicle and sat beside the driver. Koh and Azilah were seated at the back having a conversation. Azilah told the driver to stop at a junction before telling him to turn back. When they arrived at another junction, Zainudin said Koh said something to Azilah but he left the car for a smoke.

When they arrived at the crime scene, Zainudin said Azilah pointed to the locations where Altantuya was shot and later blasted with explosives.

From 7 November 2006 onwards, Zainudin said he interrogated Azilah at the Bukit Aman police headquarters as it was more convenient.

The Star Online – Defence team hints of planted evidence

New Straits Times – Altantuya Murder Trial: Remarks by accused at murder site not noted, says cop

New Straits Times – Altantuya Murder Trial: Azilah ‘roughly showed’ police crime scene

MCW – Inspector Koh Denies Police Had Prior Knowledge of Altantuya Murder Location

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Leave a Reply